The following is an excerpt from my journal written Sunday, March 1st while working at Costco.
America depresses the fuck out of me sometimes. Two little girls just strolled by me repeating "Coca Cola" to each other, each holding soda's bigger than their heads. Sooner or later the first words out of our children's mouths instead of "da-da" or "ma-ma" will be "McDonalds", "Pepsi", or "Huggies". Now more than ever I feel so out of place in this country. I would even go so far as to give up such awesome technology such as airplanes, automobiles, and even the internet if it meant I could live in a world where people were not slaves to corporations; all of us relentlessly sucking of the teet of our inherited consumerism. It would be a world in which I could have a distinct place and purpose in a community, preferably in a forest. Instead of buying in bulk at costco I could actually earn something by hunting a wild animal, using my whits and my strengths rather than my fucking debit card. I'm sick and tired of having to wade through shopping carts and people riding on motorized scooters, constantly seeing commercials for shows I'll never watch and products I don't need and will never buy, being told how I can get cash back and zero percent APR. Sometimes I am simply discusted by the world around me.
Now maybe not all of you readers know that every weekend I am slapped in the face with these issues, images, and stark fuckin realities, but I want you all to know that it is starting to wear me thin. Don't get too worried on my behalf, I'll be ok, maybe it's just that I've been far too long without a camping trip.
kale is back
11 years ago

Yo dude, you're post title said it all.
ReplyDelete"concrete jungle" You remember that scene in Baraka where they zoom out on the tokyo streets all moving in little waves of cars and people to the sound of breathing in and out. i know costco will always be bullshit but maybe if you start analyzing it from an organism/evolution/consumerism is really nature standpoint it will be more interesting.
little shopping carts: ribosomes
manager's office: nucleus
aisleways: protein molecules
etcetera...
we always seem to remove this stuff from "nature" but its as natural as anything else i guess...but it still makes me sick to my stomach.
and the two little girls repeating coca cola are probably the progeny of an uber-plastique future nordstrom collagen implant wife of america, you can't change where you were born, you can only hope to enlighten.
i challenge you randall, i challenge you to brainstorm some ideas of how you can do little things to change people's lives in the middle of that material mess.
hmmm....
Hear hear. I always hate the wading through the thick traffic of confused, wandering shopping carts in the grocery store. It seriously feels like a goddamn rat maze.
ReplyDelete