Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A hair-trigger double-barreled Shit machine gun... of children?

Only have time to write a short post before going to work. I spent too much time reading everyone's blogs that I have hardly any time for my own. I started teaching swim lessons again, a decision I'm sure to regret given adequate time. The first class I teach is for two brothers that are home-schooled. It is a bit of an awkward situation in that the younger brother is far more coordinated and athletic than the older brother, so I have to be conscious not to make anything a competition. The next class is a private lesson with one kid who I'm sure I have no idea how he has even survived in this world this long. He it TERRIFIED of water, hates to even be in the stuff. His parents must caudal him far too much for someone his age. I saw him take his first lesson with another instructor, Jason, and he was literally screaming the whole time. I am the third in the line of instructors he has been passed down to. He seems to be doing better now though, now the trick will be to get him to be able to actually make some amount of forward progress in the water. The third and final class is as Leyhe would put it, "A shit-clone" or a "hair trigger double barreled shit machine gun". It is a class of eight, half of which are classically trained hooligans. Keeping them in line for 45 minutes is like controlling Normandy on D-day. I should just go on strike until they offer me anything but peanuts, but hey, such is the life while working for a non-profit I guess.

laters

3 comments:

  1. Haul In the Jib Randy, There is a shitnami on the way and you don't wanna get covered in shit.

    Hey at least your best friend is a teacher! You could ask him for help.

    Love you brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, Sort EVERYONES life out Randal, and teach em' to swim. at least it's only 45 minutes. And for the kid that screams at the sight of water.. tell him that there are magical powers to be had that will make him super human if he shuts the hell up and puts both hands on the body board and paddles for 30 minutes. the rest of the time you can tell him that the water is whispering secrets he should hear, but he has to go under to hear them.
    just planting seeds..GOOD LUCK
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some kid in my first class was doing this Russian style knife dance near my computer and ripped the internet cable right out from the wall, it seems some otherworldly power is trying to get me from reading your daily thoughts. Great to read and fun to, keep em comming.

    ReplyDelete